Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Vegetarian protein bars

In an effort to support my daughter wanting to be a full vegetarian and myself a casual one...and trying to find healthier (more affordable) homemade alternatives to store bought nutrition bars. I found this recipe online and naturally tweaked it. It did not take the time to do the math and calculate nutrition facts, but will with my next batch since they Turned out amazing! So here is what I used. 

1/2 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup Cooke tri-color quinoa (cooked)
1/2 cup q'ia superfood blend of hemp, chia, buckwheat with cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla 

First, I soaked the oats in the yogurt in a bowl covered in plastic wrap in the counter overnight. Cooked the quinoa. Mixed it all together and formed bars on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pressed a few almonds into the top of bars. Baked for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Nice evenly golden color. So initially I made 9 bars, but now that I see how they rose and spread, next time I will strech them to 12 bars. Next time also, I will calculate nutrition info. 

Easy recipe to alter too, if you want different dry ingredients or vegan. 



Enjoy! 


1 comment:

  1. Those look super good. Are they soft or crunchy? My boys are granola hounds but in bars, they only like chewy. I love the ingredients in these.

    ReplyDelete